Sunday 4 December 2011

Time files and Ales204 comes to the end

Ales 204 is a course that covers the principles of professional communication including written, oral, and electronic components. Dr. Jessica Laccetti really encourages her students to use and learn social media in a professional way. I have never had a professor that encourage me to bring a laptop or cell phone and use it in the class and I am loving it!


In this course, I have been learned a lots of social media tools. For example:
1) Set up our own blog for e-portfolio
2) create a professional Facebook page as resume
3) use twitter for science communication
4) upload image by using flick
5) edit wikipedia to share our knowledge to others.
6) send a formal e-mail
7) typing on google docs

Other than the above social media tools, I also learn about public speaking, the skills of presentation, building a cover letter, the skills of writing and reading a journal articles, image citation and copyright, podcasting and interviewing and open peer review.
Social media tools become popular all over the world and they are part of our daily life which we can not lose. Why the rate of using social media tools is increasing? It is because people enjoy using the advanced technology. In addition, social media tools provide more opportunity for people to communicate and share their thought to the others.

For me, the most impressive lecture in this course is learning about the image citation and copyright by using the Create Common License. Before this course, copyright and citation of the image were the problems that I searched for solution. Since I am majoring in textile and clothing, I have a lots of project and design works. I always want to upload my works to the internet and I am really looking for something like Create Common License to protect the copyright of my works. I was so excited when Dr. Jessica Lacceti said that she is given out a lecture that related to image citation.

In nowadays and the future, social media would become a common but important way for people to communicate, express, and entertain themselves. If you want to know more about social media and how social media can be used in a professional way, please check out the blog of our Ales204 class. I already saves all of the power points for personal use so I highly recommend you to look through all of the power points that show on the blog. Here is the link to Stephanie Shannon's blog. She is one of my classmates in this class and her blog may also gives you more information about this course and social media.  Although class Ales204 comes to the end, but I will never forget the knowledge that I learned in this course and I will apply these knowledge into a professional way to help my future academy and career.

Thank you for Jessica Lacceti and all the teacher assistants! I learned a lots from all of you and I really enjoy this class!

No comments:

Post a Comment